26 January 2015
Rubato/Burton is really beginning to come into land now. Richard’s worked on a lot of the content, and in doing so, found all manner of edge cases for me to pore over. It’s been super-helpful in terms of understanding expected behaviour, and what a performer might need from it. So I fixed up a lot of those issues, spent some time making the performance controls much more obvious for a musician on stage, and tidied a lot of the code up, giving it structure and removing dependencies. That gives me a bit more confidence about it.
On Thursday, a brainstorming meeting about a potential piece of work – and meeting a few new super-interesting people.
On Wednesday lunchtime, I caught up with Basil, whose studio is just around the corner. It was a good chat: he’s heavy into focusing on Telescope, and we discussed the tug of project work versus focusing on other clients. I came away impressed with their focus, but also reminded that much of what work feels or looks like isn’t always unique. And it’s good to connect with colleagues outside the studio – if only to get a new perspective on my own practice.
And I finally gave Swarmize a project page. Swarmize was one of my favourite pieces of work from last year: from a greenfield start to a fully-functional alpha, building both UI and back-end, iterated on as part of a small team and working closely with end-users. And, underneath it all, wrangling big chunks of data. If that sort of shape project – from invention through prototyping and iteration – is something you’re interested in, or think you have on the horizon, do get in touch – there might be interesting work to do together.