• Weeks 298-305

    29 October 2018

    Lots of time without weeknotes. Oops. But: lots has been going on.

    Notably, Lambrigg wrapped up. The final weeks weren't too crunchy, thankfully: just somesome busy, intense days to get to the finish line. In the final week we designed and wrote a new demo, re-coded both demos so that they could be more easily shared with colleagues, finalised two hardware prototypes, wrote our report and presentation deck, and got the whole thing into a shippable state. Phew.

    It's been a really nice shape of project. A research and development piece beginning – about three months ago – with background research, interviews, design reporting, a bit of strategy, and helping colleagues in the management team develop strategy further. Then, we moved into prototyping some preferred approaches in a manner that could be taken further if needed.

    Across the project, I've conducted research interviews, done desk research into design and technology, explored possible technical approaches, designed some game prototypes, built software and firmware in Python, Ruby, Java/Processing, and C++. I've designed, fabricated and built up two different custom circuit boards that interface with one another, and built end-to-end prototypes that interface with a computer. I've produced CAD models for those boards for Tim to design around. By the end, we had turned all that into coherent physical prototypes with working demos.

    That feels like a lot. Meaty work.

    And then, I promptly got ill with endoftermitis: the come-down after pushing perhaps a wee bit hard. So I was off for a bit, and I think that threw my weeknotes muscle.

    Since then, I've been working on a few things.

    Firstly, decommissioning Holmfell – Erica Scourti's _Empathy Deck_ – now that the Twitter API no longer supports, well, doing anything fun. We've said goodbye, and now we're working out how best to properly archive a web project. That's entailed not just taking dumps, but writing documentation for future users on what they are and how to interact with them. For instance, I've been turning some of the most significant Postgres tables into CSV – after all, as I say a lot, Excel is the prototyping tool everybody has on their desk, so it's good to leave things in a state that doesn't require me.

    It also turns out the project generated around 17gb of images in its lifespan, so I've been trying to archive that in the most space- and time-efficient way possible. Unsurprisingly, it turns out that a little rsync goes a long way.

    Over on Selworthy, we've been thinking a bit about infrastructure and operations, and choosing our next focus for incremental, ongoing improvement. I've also been prototyping some new interactions, which are going to be much easier to integrate with the existing front-end after the overhaul the team made to our front-end stack more recently.

    I've started the work around preparing for this year's Hyper Island Digital Technologies module. This year, it's more of an incremental overhaul on last year, but it's been good to start thinking about the structure and narrative of the module up-front. There'll be more work on that in the weeks to come!

    I've started conversations about a small R&D project called Sharphaw, which ties together some of my experience and expertise to help a company explore taking the objects they make and connecting them to internet services – a bit of IOT prototyping, a bit of thinking about service design, and fabricating a few things.

    And, over on the music technology side: a small production run of kits for Thonk, and wrapping up an open-source community project I've been working on for a good while. I'm hoping to release that in week 306!

    Phew. That's a lot. Let's try to do this more often.