• Weeks 294-295

    20 August 2018

    Weeknotes are quiet at the moment, mainly because I'm fairly head-down and there's just not a lot to see or show.

    Over on Selworthy, I've been fettling some issues that involve interfacing remotely with other people's tools and workflows. That makes the feedback loop a little slow, but we're getting there, and I'm pleased with the route we've taken. More excitingly, we're working at overhauling some front-end code I wrote a long while ago and bringing it in line with our more modern tooling – notably, better data-binding and more efficient DOM interactions. It's the last really large piece of legacy code: a significant chunk of the app we've just left alone for a while, and now's a good opportunity to rework it – not just for rewritings’ sake, but also for performance optimisations, and importantly – from my perspective – passing on this large chunk of knowledge to the team. Like much genuine technical debt, it's been worth holding onto for a while, and now it's the right time to pay it off.

    Lambrigg marches on to an interim deadline towards the end of the month. There's been lots of fabrication and prototyping – this week, I've been wrangling Python, C++, and the finer details of I2C busses to bring things closer to life. I made a decent breakthrough at the end of week 294 that turned week 295 into a week of good pace and functionality development. I even finally taught myself to write C++ classes, which, it turn out, I should have done long ago: they work exactly like classes do in my head, and they're making things a lot tidier. Hopefully my embedded code in future will become tidier!

    And finally, in the minutes between things, I wrapped up a few prototype components for Musuem in a Box; I'm hoping to deliver those for week 296. Some time evaluating specific ICs was well spent, and I think they've come together well.